Just 19 days after its last missile launch, North Korea fired another ballistic missile on Tuesday morning.
Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff said Tuesday that North Korea fired what appeared to be a submarine-launched ballistic missile, or SLBM toward the East Sea at about 10:17 AM.
Traveling 430 to 450 kilometers, at a maximum height of sixty kilometers, the missile was launched from the vicinity of Sinpo, Hamkyungnam-do Province.
This is where North Korea keeps its submarines, meaning that it is possible that the latest launch WAS in fact the test-firing of an SLBM.
Seoul's military says that it is currently carrying out an investigation into the matter.
If confirmed to be an SLBM, the launch would be the first of its kind in two years since 2019 when the North fired Bukkeukseong-3 from an underwater platform.
The missile could also be a new type of SLBM as the North showcased Bukkeukseong-4 at a military parade last October and Bukkeukseong-5 at another parade this January.
Missiles being launched from a submarine can make them harder to detect, and allows them to get closer to other targets.
This is the eighth provocation this year alone, and fifth since last month.
For two days starting September 11th, Pyeongyang test fired long-range cruise missiles that covered a range of some 15-hundred kilometers.
On the 15th, when South Korea tested its own SLBM, the North fired two short-range ballistic missiles from a train.
Then on the 28th of September, the regime fired what it claimed to be a "hypersonic missile."
And just two days after that, it tested what it called an "anti-aircraft missile."
Tuesday's launch comes at a time when top nuclear envoys from South Korea, the U.S., and Japan are currently in Washington to discuss the North's missile launches and ways to resume talks with the regime.
It also comes as intelligence chiefs of the three countries reportedly met behind closed doors in Seoul to discuss issues on North Korea.
Bae Eun-ji, Arirang News.