arirang mobile

N. Korea says its recent test-launch of missile does not target the U.S.
Updated: 2021-10-21 10:00:37 KST

North Korea says its test-launch of a SLBM this week is not directed at the U.S., saying it had been pre-planned long ago for the regime's national defense and there is no need for the U.S. to be worried.
Its central news agency reported Thursday that the North's foreign ministry official said there would be no tensions on the Korean peninsula if they are not bothered for exercising "sovereignty."
The official pointed to a "double standard" from the U.S. who criticize development of the same weapons that the U.S. already owns or develops, but reiterated Seoul and Washington are not their "main enemies."
The official said the regime has already expressed deep concerns over a UN Security Council meeting.

(English)
"I think North Korea is making clear that they want to be a de-facto nuclear weapon state. Compared to the previous statements, this is a very low-key statement and they are not severely criticizing U.S.' attempt to bring this issue to the United Nations Security Council."

On Wednesday, the United Nations convened an emergency closed-door meeting regarding the North's missile launch, but the VOA reported they could not come up with a statement.
Ahead of the council meeting, U.S. ambassador to the UN, Linda Thomas-Greenfield urged North Korea to refrain from further provocations and engage in "sustained and substantive dialogues" for the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

(English)
"Since the beginning of September, the DPRK has launched multiple ballistic missiles, one of which the DPRK claimed included a new hypersonic glide vehicle capability. These are unlawful activities. They are in violation of multiple Security Council resolutions, and they are unacceptable."

She reiterated that the U.S. has offered to meet North Korean officials without any pre-conditions and that Washington has no hostile intent toward the regime.
Other European countries, including Ireland, France and Estonia also strongly condemned the North's launch of the ballistic missile.
Yoon Jung-min, Arirang News.
Reporter : yoonjm@arirang.com