Pompeo said U.S. has gathered lots of evidence that Iran was behind last week's tanker attacks
Updated: 2019-06-17 16:21:36 KST
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that the U.S. is "considering a full range of options" including military options to guarantee unhindered shipping through the Strait of Hormuz following last week's incidents.
But he emphasized that President Trump does not want to go to war with Iran.
"President Trump has done everything he can to avoid war. We don't want war. We've done what we can to deter this. The Iranians should understand very clearly that we will continue to take actions that deter Iran from engaging this kind of behavior."
Pompeo stressed that Iran was unmistakably responsible for last Thursday's attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, but he said diplomacy should be used to deal with the situation.
He said American officials are reaching out to colleagues around the world to share an understanding of these recent attacks and claims the U.S. has "lots of data, lots of evidence" proving Iran was responsible.
In response, the Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said Sunday it was the U.S. who carried out the attacks.
Larijiani claims the U.S. had conducted the attacks after its economic sanctions failed to achieve their goals on Iran.
He said the attacks were Washington's "Plan B".
The attacked oil tankers are currently anchored in the United Arab Emirates.
Damage assessment on Japan's Kokuka Courageous, and the other tanker, owned by a Norwegian shipping company, will start after UAE authorities complete security checks.
A specialist team will inspect the vessels for a full assessment of their condition and the damage they suffered.
Hong Yoo, Arirang News.