[Korea Now Today's Headline] 09/24/FRI
1. South Korea reported 2-thousand-434 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, while the daily new cases hit an all-time high, showing a surge after the 추석 holiday.
2. As the number of new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in South Korea soared to 24-hundred, the government predicted that the number of confirmed cases could increase further in the future.
3. At in-flight press conference on Thursday, President 문재인 said the-end-of-war declaration is the entrance to negotiations for a peace agreement and is a kind of political declaration. 문 repeatedly emphasized that the ROK-U.S. alliance and the presence of US forces in Korea are not affected by the declaration.
4. The sister of North Korean leader 김정은 said Friday that the North is open to “constructive discussion” to improve inter-Korean relations if South Korea drops its hostile attitude toward 평양. 김여정 has called President 문’s proposal to declare a formal end to the Korean war “interesting” and “a good idea”.
5. The remains of 68 South Korean soldiers killed in the Korean War were repatriated to South Korea from Hawaii on Thursday. President 문재인, who returned home with the remains after attending the UN General Assembly held a repatriation ceremony with the highest courtesy on the same day.
6. The U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services has submitted a defense budget bill that does not specify a minimum number of U.S. troops stationed in South Korea.