[Korea Now Today's Headline] 08/23/MON
1. South Korea reported 1-thousand-418 New COVID-19 cases on Monday, as the daily COVID-19 infections fell below one-thousand-500 for the first time in six days.
2. Health authorities have extended the highest social distancing measures for another two weeks. Cafes and restaurants need to close by 9 PM, an hour earlier than before.
3. According to health authorities on Monday, One-point-01 million doses of the Moderna vaccine arrived at Incheon International Airport, with Moderna informing the government that it will supply seven-point-01 million vaccine doses by September 5th.
4. Special Representative of Peninsula Peace and Security Affairs 노규덕 and his U.S. counterpart Sung Kim held talks in Seoul Monday morning. Kim stressed that the U.S has no hostile intentions toward North Korea, and the ongoing exercise is "purely defensive" in nature.
5. G7 leaders will discuss the crisis in Afghanistan on Tuesday, following the Taliban's takeover of the country. Reuters reported that Britain will consider imposing economic sanctions and halting aid to the Taliban at the meeting.
6. The national weather agency announced that the 12th typhoon 'Omais' is expected to land on the Korean peninsula late Monday. The typhoon will pass through 제주도Island at around 9 pm tonight and then land on the southern coast overnight.