[Korea Now Today's Headline] 09/08/WED
1. South Korea reported 2-thousand-50 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, while the latest caseload bounced back to over two-thousand in a week.
2. South Korea’s Health Ministry said Wednesday that the government will start considering a transition of the COVID-19 management system in November after 70 percent of the population has completed vaccination.
3. According to diplomatic sources on Tuesday, top nuclear envoys from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are expected to meet next week. For this meeting, special representative for Korean peninsula Peace and Security Affairs 노규덕 will visit Japan.
4. According to the 청와대 on Tuesday, President 문재인 will hold an online summit with his Mongolian counterpart on September 10 to discuss bilateral cooperation in tackling COVID-19 and other global issues.
5. At a news conference in Kabul on Tuesday local time, the Taliban announced key posts for their new government in Afghanistan. Mullah Mohammad Hasan Akhund, who is on a UN sanctions list, was named as leader of the new government, while Taliban co-founder Abdul Ghani Baradar was named as his deputy.
6. K-pop sensation BTS' megahit song "Butter" bounced back to No. 1 on this week's Billboard main singles chart, claiming the top spot for a tenth nonconsecutive week. “Butter" becomes the 40th single in the Hot 100's 63-year history to spend 10 or more weeks at No. 1.