[Korea Now Today's Headline] 04/26/MON
1. On Sunday, Los Angeles time, actress 윤여정 won the Best Supporting Actress title at this year’s Academy Awards for her role in the film ‘Minari’, making history as the first South Korean to win an Oscars’ acting trophy.
2. On Monday, South Korea reported 500 new COVID-19 cases, with the number of new daily cases dropping due to fewer tests over the weekend.
3. Acting Prime Minister 홍남기 said during a COVID-19 briefing today that with the government securing additional vaccine doses, herd immunity may be achieved in South Korea by September, two months earlier than initially planned.
4. Starting today, South Korea began inoculating COVID-19 vaccines to pharmacists, therapists and dialysis patients, as well as social service workers, including police officers and firefighters.
5. India’s healthcare system is collapsing as the government has been reporting over 300,000 new COVID-19 cases each day for 4 days in a row, breaking world records.
6. The head of the European Commission said the bloc would start allowing vaccinated U.S. tourists to travel to the EU this summer, although an exact date for when travel would resume has not been set yet.
7. Japan’s ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) lost all three seats in the parliamentary by-elections held Sunday, weakening the influence of Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s government.