[Korea Now Today's Headline] 03/23/TUE
1.On Tuesday, South Korea reported 346 new COVID-19 cases, dropping to the 300s for the first time in a week.
2. Today, South Korea began administering the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to those aged 65 and older, starting with inpatients of nursing homes and long-term care hospitals.
3. President 문재인 and the First Lady received their first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine today, at the 종로구 public health center.
4. On Tuesday, running on the ticket of the main opposition party, 오세훈 was declared the winner of the bipartisan primary against 안철수, and is now set to run against 박영선, the candidate from the ruling Democratic Party in the upcoming Seoul mayoral by-election.
5. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping and North Korean leader 김정은 exchanged verbal messages, reaffirming the alliance between the two countries for stronger “unity and cooperation” in the face of challenges posed by “hostile forces”.
6. On Monday local time, In coordination with major Western powers, including the US, UK, and Canada, the European Union imposed fresh sanctions against Chinese officials for its “serious human rights abuses” against the Uyghur Muslims.
7. The US Department of Justice announced in a press release on Monday, local time, that 문철명, the first North Korean extradited to the US, has been indicted on six counts of money laundering.
8. A statement was made public by the faculty of Harvard’s Reischauer Institute for Japanese Studies, calling on the publishing journal of professor Mark Ramseyer’s contentious article to fully address the serious concerns about the empirical foundation of his article.