[Korea Now Today's Headline] 09/15/WED
1. According to South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday, North Korea has fired two ballistic missiles into the East Sea from its central inland areas on Wednesday. This is the North's fifth missile test this year and comes just two days after announcing that it had successfully test launched a new long-range cruise missile.
2. South Korea’s Foreign Minister 정의용 and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi sat down for talks in Seoul on Wednesday in their first face-to-face meeting in five months. 정 said the two nations have worked closely on achieving the joint goal of denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula and establishing permanent peace.
3. President 문재인 has sought China's support for the Korean Peninsula peace process as he was visited by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Wednesday. Ahead of next year's 30th anniversary of Seoul and Beijing's diplomatic relations, Moon called for both sides to focus on further developing their ties.
4. South Korea reported two-thousand-80 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, while the daily cases surpassed two-thousand as infections in the capital area surged to a record high ahead of a major holiday.
5. South Korea’s finance minister 홍남기 said during a meeting on real estate policy Wednesday that the government will ease regulations, especially on the required dimensions and floor heating for flats, studios or other non-apartment homes. The minister also added that the government will come up with measures to curb soaring costs of'jeonse' and monthly rent by end of this year.
6. Afghanistan's acting foreign minister on Tuesday called for international donors to restart aid, as the Taliban government seeks to shore up the finances of a country heavily reliant on external assistance after 40 years of near-continuous war.
7. According to Japan’s media outlet Wednesday, Japan has entered election season with the ruling Liberal democratic party's presidential election with three candidates as they’re set toselect the LDP’s new leader on September 29.