[Korea Now Today's Headline] 07/27/TUE
1. The two Koreas on Tuesday reopened direct cross-border communication lines that 평양 unilaterally cut over a year ago. The 청와대 said it is a positive sign for an improvement in the inter-Korean relationship.
2. South Korea reported 1-thousand-365 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, with 40-percent coming from outside the capital for the second straight day.
3. Health authorities have raised measures to level three outside the capital region for two weeks, starting from today until August 8th. Meanwhile, 36 cities and counties with few confirmed cases are remaining in Level one and two.
4. President 문재인 awarded state medals to two veterans of the UN Forces at the 청와대 on Tuesday. President 문 emphasized that the spirits of the two who defended freedom and peace “will be forever imprinted” in our hearts.
5. U.S. President Joe Biden said on Monday local time in a proclamation that his country is very proud of its historical friendship with South Korea and that the partnership remains crucial to maintaining peace and stability in the world.
6. South Korea's famous tidal flats, 갯벌 have just been added to UNESCO's World heritage List on Tuesday. South Korea is now home to 15 World Heritage sites.