One of the surviving Korean victims of Japan's system of wartime sexual slavery, Lee Yong-soo, has once again urged the South Korean government to bring the so-called "comfort women" issue to the International Court of Justice.
She met on Wednesday with South Korean foreign minister Chung Eui-yong, telling him she wants to discuss the issue personally with President Moon Jae-in.
"I asked the minister to let me meet the President so I can ask him to persuade [Japan's] Prime Minister Suga to resolve the issue at the International Court of Justice. It is very urgent for me. I don't have much time left. I am desperate."
The foreign minister said that he would do his utmost, and will review the suggestion carefully, reportedly because it is not a simple issue.
Criticizing the 2015 deal between Seoul and Tokyo, the 92-year-old Lee said what she wants from Japan is not compensation but a sincere apology.
Experts, however, see it as unlikely that Japan will respond.
"If the South Korean government proposes a constructive idea but Japan refuses, the U.S. and the UN will think it is evading human rights issue."
Seoul-Tokyo relations are at a low ebb over the historical issues of Japan's "comfort women" system and its use of forced labor during World War Two.
Seoul's foreign ministry has urged Tokyo to engage in dialogue, but Japan is yet to respond.
And since the South Korean foreign minister took office last month, he has not yet spoken with his Japanese counterpart.
Yoon Jung-min, Arirang News.