Other Stories

N. Korea says it rebuffed U.S. offer to resume nuclear talks next month Updated: 2019-11-15 16:04:57 KST


North Korea revealed on Thursday that the U.S. has offered to resume nuclear negotiations in December.
But the regime turned the offer down, saying it was not interested in talks that are only held to appease them before a year-end deadline set by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for Washington to offer an acceptable deal.
North Korean negotiator Kim Myong-gil who delivered the statement released by state media added deals that offer an end to the Korean War or establishing a liaison office between the countries are of secondary importance.
He said they are ready to meet the U.S. at any place and any time if Washington offers a fundamental solution.
In response, the U.S. State Department said President Trump is committed to advancing the commitments promised at last year's summit in Singapore.
The mention of nuclear talks comes after negotiations ground to a halt following a recent unsuccessful meeting in Stockholm.
Following that meeting, North Korea accused the U.S. of approaching the talks with an "old stance and attitude".
The North Korean negotiator also criticized his U.S. counterpart's idea of contacting him through a third party over any suggestions for dialogue.
Kim Yong-chol, another senior North Korean official, also released a statement through the regime's state media late Thursday regarding what U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said about the possibility of altering joint military exercises in South Korea if it helps advance a diplomatic deal with North Korea.
Kim Yong-chol said he hopes Esper meant to completely halt the joint drills and added he thinks the comments reflect President Trump's thinking and was part of the U.S. side's positive efforts to revive momentum for talks.
Hong Yoo, Arirang News.
KOGL : Korea Open Government License
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트(텍스트)는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
weather