* Date : 2022-01-03
1. S.Korea's Diplomatic Tasks
The year 2022 marks S. Korea’s 140th anniversary of its diplomatic relations with the U.S. and the 30th anniversary of its diplomatic ties with China. N. Korean leader Kim Jong-un marks 10th year in power in Pyeongyang, while the two Koreas will mark the fourth anniversary since the leaders met at Panmunjom for summit talks in 2018. Despite the anticipations over the major diplomatic events to come throughout the new year, S. Korea is ahead of various foreign policy and security hurdles.
Seoul is facing pressure from the U.S. and its Western allies over joining the diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics slated for February. Consequently, S. Korea’s plan to declare an official end to the Korean War along with N. Korea, the U.S., and China on the sidelines of the quadrennial sporting event is roadblocked by Washington's Olympic boycott and the IOC suspension of N. Korea’s participation in the Winter Games. Meanwhile, the U.S. and China are ahead of a major event that could reshape the domestic political dynamics in the latter half of 2022. With the ongoing rivalry between the two superpowers expected to reach new heights, uncertainties linger for N. Korea as it enters the 10th year into the Kim Jong-un ruling.
Amid these geopolitical variables, how will S. Korea navigate its alliance relationship with the U.S. in 2022? Will a new phase for the Seoul-Beijing relations emerge as the economic partnership remains a key strategic agenda for the two nations? And how will S. Korea respond diplomatically to the persisting U.S.-China spat? We invite multiple experts and journalists from the U.S., the UK, China, and S. Korea, to analyze these important issues.
- Andrew Salmon / Correspondent, Asia Times
- Josh Smith / Correspondent, Reuters
- Yoon Jung-min / Foreign Ministry Correspondent, Arirang TV
- Einar Tangen / Current Affairs Commentator, CGTN (Skype Interview Guests)
- Chun Hae-sung / Former Vice Unification Minister
- Kim Joon-hyung / Chancellor of Korea National Diplomatic Academy
- Jin Chang-soo / Senior Research Fellow
- Kim Jina / Professor at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies