Other Stories

Working-level talks with U.S. could take place within few weeks: N. Korea's Foreign Ministry Updated: 2019-09-16 16:24:21 KST

North Korea's foreign ministry says it expects working-level talks between Pyeongyang and Washington to take place within the next few weeks.
However, a Monday statement issued by the ministry's official in charge of U.S. affairs stressed that North Korea's position is clear and immovable.
The official said the North's denuclearization can only start after threats to Pyeongyang's security and obstacles to its development have been completely removed.
Reiterating that North Korea-U.S. dialogue poses two options - danger and opportunity - the statement said it's up to Washington to determine the outcome and the future of the talks.
It added that it's fortunate that Washington has repeatedly affirmed its position to resolve matters through talks and negotiations.

Meanwhile, South Korea has confirmed the reported delivery of a personal letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to U.S. President Donald Trump.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs cannot verify the report independently. But, we were briefed in detail about the letter and its delivery some time ago from the U.S."

At a parliamentary session, Seoul's Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha added that the ministry is not in a position to discuss the content of the letter or when it was handed over.
Earlier on Monday, Joongang Ilbo, a local South Korean newspaper, reported that Kim sent a letter to Trump calling for a third summit and inviting the U.S. leader to Pyeongyang.
Citing anonymous diplomatic sources, however, the report said it's not clear whether Kim proposed the idea of holding an official summit in Pyeongyang or if he had simply invited Trump for a personal visit.
Kan Hyeong-woo, Arirang News.
KOGL : Korea Open Government License
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트(텍스트)는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
weather