Senior N. Korean official says nuke talks only possible when U.S. accepts regime's demands
Updated: 2020-01-11 16:42:08 KST
North Korea's foreign ministry adviser Kim Kye-gwan has delivered a hardline statement, saying dialogue with the United States can resume only when Washington fully accepts Pyeongyang's demands.
The North's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported Saturday that Kim stressed Pyeongyang would never engage in a negotiation to exchange its core nuclear facility for partial sanctions relief as it did during last year's 'no-deal' Hanoi summit.
He said dialogue can restart only if the U.S. agrees on the issues raised by Pyeongyang but added Washington is apparently not ready to do so.
The official also spoke of President Trump's personal birthday letter to Kim Jong-un.
While he called the relationship between the two leaders "not bad", he said it would be absent minded to think such personal relations could bring North Korea back to the negotiating table.
Kim Kye-gwan also criticized South Korea's presidential office for announcing the delivery of the birthday message, and called for Seoul to keep a low profile and not try to play a mediator role.