EP.12 This House would impose a sin tax on the purchase of all meat products
World Ch. Schedule : MON 08:05 KST
Date : 2017-08-21
This House would impose a sin tax on the purchase of all meat products
A sin tax is an excise tax specifically levied on certain goods deemed harmful to society, such as alcohol, tobacco, and gambling. Then, shouldn't we also have to pay more to purchase foods that cause animal suffering and pollute the planet? But the problem is, the burden of the taxes is likely to fall heavily on the poor. What is subject to sin tax? And will it really change consumer behavior and the world for the better?
This week, students from Anyang Foreign Language High School, Seongnam Foreign Language High School, Gimcheon High School and Dongducheon Foreign Language High School argue for and against the motion "This House would impose a sin tax on the purchase of all meat products."
Who will make it to the final round?
- Member of the Executive Committee, World Convener, Chief Adjudicator's Panel, Adjudicator and Coach of the World Schools Debating Championships
- Juris Doctor, Harvard Law School
- Author of "Global Leadership: Debating is the Answer" and "Debating Grand Final"
- Executive Director of UZEN (2007-2008)
- Author of "The Humanities for Children," "The Secret of English Fluency" and more
- BA in Business Administration, New York University
- Best Speaker in the World, World Universities Debating Championships 2016
- Champion of 28 national and international debating tournaments
- Internationally recognized debate coach, running workshops for high schools, universities, charities and corporates across the world and helping to train the national teams of England, Qatar, Bangladesh, India, Singapore and The Philippines.