EP.14 This House Believes that Schools Should Teach their Students to be Global Citizens Instead of Instilling Nationalism
Date : 2017-09-04
This House Believes that Schools Should Teach their Students to be Global Citizens Instead of Instilling Nationalism
The United Kingdom left the European Union, the U.S. declared an "America First" foreign policy, and many European countries are becoming increasingly hostile to refugees in order to protect their countries. The battle between globalists and nationalists has become the central axis of conflict within and across many nations around the world. The idea of global citizenship is that one's identity transcends geography or political borders and that responsibilities and rights can be derived from membership in a broader class: "humanity." Nationalism vs. cosmopolitanism... what should schools teach their students in this era of globalization?
After the fierce 13 rounds of the tournament, Minjok Leadership Academy was crowned the champion of "Intelligence – High School Debate." This week, they will compete against the representative champions from Singapore, China and Japan.
Who will be crowned the winner of the 2017 Asian Cup?
- Member of the Executive Committee, World Convener, Chief Adjudicator's Panel, Adjudicator and Coach of the World Schools Debating Championships
- Juris Doctor, Harvard Law School
- Author of "Global Leadership: Debating is the Answer" and "Debating Grand Final"
- Best Speaker in the World, World Universities Debating Championships 2016
- Champion of 28 national and international debating tournaments
- Internationally recognized debate coach, running workshops for high schools, universities, charities and corporates across the world and helping to train the national teams of England, Qatar, Bangladesh, India, Singapore and The Philippines.
- Thai Representative of the World School Debating Council and Charity
- Convener of the World Schools Debating Championship
- Chief Adjudicator of the 1st Asian BP Debating Championship
- Founder and Chief Adjudicator of the Thailand High School National Debating Championship
- Founder of the Asia-Pacific Student Entrepreneurship Society
- Master in Engineering and Management, Stanford University