[Korea Now Today's Headline] 07/02/FRI
1. On Friday, South Korea reported 826 new COVID-19 cases, with the number of daily new cases soaring to a nearly six-month high amid growing concerns over a potential surge in variant cases.
2. Prime Minister 김부겸 said Friday that the nation's COVID-19 response has reached a point of "critical crisis", adding that the government can always elevate its social distancing guidelines through consultations with local governments when necessary.
3. Today, President 문재인 attended an event to mark South Korea's two-year response to Japan's unilateral export control, during which he said that the nation has turned the crisis into an opportunity and gained confidence.
4. The Korea Meteorological Administration said heavy monsoon rains up to 150mm are likely to hit most parts of the country this weekend, marking the start of the month-long summer rainy season.
5. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences unveiled the names of 395 artists and experts in the filmmaking industry on Thursday, local time, which included the most recent Oscar-winning South Korean actress 윤여정.