NEWS of OMICRON have RATTLED global markets AND WHILE MOST have REGAINED some GROUND there is STILL much UNCERTAINTY AS the WORLD AWAITS CONCRETE DATA about the THREAT POSED by this NEW VARIANT.
For more I have Professor Song Soo-young from Chung-Ang University.
It's a pleasure to have you back Professor Song.
I also have Professor Chai Sang-mi from Ewha Womans University.
Welcome back Professor Chai .
1) Professor Song the central bank has forecast a 4-percent economic expansion for Korea this year on the back of exports and domestic consumption.
HOW DO the emergence of OMICRON AND the decision to hold off phase two of our exit strategy LOOK to AFFECT the local economy?
2) Professor Chai as I mentioned earlier U.S. and European stock markets lost ground last Friday following news of OMICRON.
Markets have since regained ground.
What are your prospects for the near future though?
3) And Professor Song what are your prospects for the local stock market?
((Some are saying the KOSPI MAY DECLINE to the 2,800 level.))
4) Professor Chai what are your thoughts on OMICRON FURTHER DISRUPTING supply chains AND RAISING inflationary pressure?
5-1) Professor Song oil prices also plunged amid news of OMICRON.
Can we expect an ease in inflationary pressure given this fall in energy costs?
5-2) What variables are likely to push oil prices back up?
6) Professor Chai how does OMICRON look to impact the U.S. Federal Reserve's TAPERING of its asset purchases?
7) Professor Song the central bank here has been quick to raise its key interest rate as part of efforts to rein in household debt and inflationary pressure.
How do you explain this MONETARY TIGHTENING AND its impact on the economy?
8) Professor Chai what are the chances of a further hike in the benchmark interet rate amid the presence of OMICRON?
9-1) Professor Song Samsung Electronics is poised to build a 17-BILLION U.S. dollar FOUNDRY in Taylor Texas.
What are your prospects on the global semiconductor foundry market?
9-2) Professor Song upon his return from the U.S.. . last week Samsung Electronics vice chairman Lee Jae-yong spoke of having witnessed a "harsh market reality".
How do you INTERPRET these words?
10) Professor Chai quite a number of economic indices are poised to be shared in December.
Which ones do you believe will offer us a better understanding about our economic stability amid the pandemic?