U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has once again called for North Korea to come back to the negotiating table for talks on dismantling its nuclear program.
Pompeo said Monday that he's looking forward to sitting down with North Korea's leadership, despite the regime's latest remarks slamming the United States.
In an official statement earlier Monday, Pyeongyang condemned Pompeo's remarks made last week, during which he called on the Group of Seven major economies to continue diplomatic and economic pressure on the regime.
The North accused Pompeo of slandering the regime adding it will "go our own way," without elaborating on what it meant by that.
Nevertheless, Pompeo stressed he has been trying diligently to engage in denuclearization negotiations with the North, explaining the leaders of the two countries agreed during their summit meetings to create a brighter future for North Korea.
The top U.S. diplomat also said Washington stands ready to help the North fight the coronavirus outbreak.
He said the U.S. has offered assistance from early on, when it became apparent North Korea was likely to face a challenge.
Pompeo also stressed that countries like North Korea and Iran need to be transparent in reporting the extent of the COVID-19 spread within their borders, so the international community can effectively help them.
So far, North Korea has not reported a single confirmed case of the coronavirus, but many suspect the regime is covering up an outbreak.
Kim Hyo-sun, Arirang News.