The Military Manpower Administration said on Friday it'll temporarily suspend drafting of residents in Daegu city and the adjacent county of Cheongdo from next week following the government's designation of these areas as zones that require special management to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
This is the latest measure by the South Korean military to contain the virus' spread among soldiers.
Following a meeting held late Thursday by Seoul's defense minister Jeong Kyeong-doo, the defense ministry said starting this Saturday it'll temporarily limit soldiers' leave and travel as well as banning visitors.
There are a few exceptions for family-related events and soldiers who are awaiting discharge and do not have to return to their bases.
"These measures are stronger than the previous measures laid out on Wednesday in which the military prohibited soldiers in areas affected by the virus from taking leave or having visitors on bases."
The ministry said one person in the Navy, based in Jeju Island, has been confirmed of contracting the virus after spending six days in Daegu and Gyeongsangbuk-do Province where most of Korea's cases of the virus have appeared.
The military is conducting a pervasive survey of all soldiers that were on leave since last Monday who have visited these areas.
Meanwhile, South Korea's Air Force has quarantined some 80 soldiers as a preventative measure after an Air Force officer based in Daegu… who had been dispatched to the Gyeryongdae military compound earlier this week… was confirmed of contracting the coronavirus.
An Army officer in Jeungpyeong county, Chungcheongbuk-do Province, has also been confirmed to have the coronavirus.
As a whole, the ministry has quarantined some three-hundred-40 soldiers either at their homes or at separate locations in their bases as of Thursday afternoon.
Kim Ji-yeon, Arirang News."