U.S. President Donald Trump is insisting on bringing American soldiers back from what he calls "America's endless wars" in the Middle East.
However, his Pentagon chief now says all U.S. troops withdrawn from Syria by President Trump last week will now head to western Iraq, adding the U.S. military will continue operations against the Islamic State group.
For more on this and other news around the world, let's turn to our Kim Da-mi.
Da-mi, U.S. forces have been seen leaving northeastern Syria, but instead of returning home, it appears they are being redeployed to Iraq.
Right Mark, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper laid out the current plan on Sunday, saying that ALL the troops leaving Syria will be redeployed to western Iraq.
Speaking to reporters en route to the Middle East, Esper noted that American forces will continue operations against the Islamic State group to prevent its resurgence.
However, AP reported that Esper didn't rule out the idea that U.S. forces would conduct counterterrorism missions from Iraq to Syria.
His comments were the first to specifically detail the plan after leaving Syria and what the ongoing mission against ISIS could look like.
Esper said he had already discussed with his Iraqi counterpart that more than 700 U.S. troops will shift from Syria to western Iraq, adding the withdrawal could take several weeks.
Around two to three hundred U.S. forces will remain in southern Syria.
President Trump tweeted: "USA soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zones. We have secured the Oil. Bringing soldiers home "
Trump ordered the withdrawal of around one-thousand U.S. troops in northeastern Syria after Turkey announced his plan to invade Syria to fight Kurdish forces.