South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said North Korea fired what it presumes to be two short-range ballistic missiles into the East Sea at around 8:01 and 8:16 Friday morning.
They were fired from North Korea's eastern coastal county of Tongcheon in the North's Kangwon-do Province, recording a maximum altitude of some 30 kilometers, with a flight distance of some 230 kilometers and maximum speed of more than Mach 6.1 which is some 7,466 kilometers per hour.
The South Korean military is monitoring the situation while maintaining a readiness posture, and it's working closely with the U.S. to verify more details about Friday's firing.
"The latest launch is a response to the joint summertime training by the South Korean and U.S. militaries but a military source said earlier that the recent launches may have been planned long ago and the North is using the drills as an excuse to continue their launches."
A military source confirmed that Friday's test-fire is being deemed a successful launch as the missiles hit an uninhabited island called "Al-sum" or 'rocket target' in Korean which is near the missile base of Gitdaeryong that stores short-range scud missiles and medium-range Nodong that could be used in real combat.
Back in August 2017, North Korea had test fired three short-range projectiles in the vicinity of Gitdaeryong near Tongcheon county during the South Korea-U.S. joint military exercise, the Ulchi Freedom Guardian.
The latest provocation comes amid North Korea's continued criticism over the South Korea-U.S. joint "Combined Command Post Training" despite it being scaled-down from previous versions.
The training will continue until next Tuesday, August 20th, and involves computer-based war simulations to verify South Korea's state of readiness for the envisioned transfer of wartime operational control from Washington to Seoul.
This year, real military equipment and troops have not being mobilized.
Kim Ji-yeon, Arirang News.